The construction of Petco Park in 1999 required the relocation of the historic Showley Brothers Candy Factory. In a monumental undertaking, the thee-million-pound unreinforced masonry building was moved three blocks east of its original site. Seismically upgraded, and restored to its 1924 glory, the old factory was repurposed as offices above retail/restaurant spaces overlooking the new ballpark. Even the original company logo—a bear (the symbol of the state) sucking a candy stick, festooning decorative medallions high on the parapets—were remade and reattached.
Historic Preservation Award from City of San Diego Historic Resources Board
Orchid for Preservation and Architecture from San Diego Architectural Foundation